buying process a house timeline
Find a real estate agent. 1–2 weeks.
Get pre-approved for a mortgage. 1–2 weeks.
Make a list of needs and start browsing. 3–5 days.
Go to house viewings. 1 week–4 months.
Make an offer and negotiate. 3–5 days.
Get your loan approved.
Wait for the appraisal.
Get a home inspection.
1. Meet with a Realtor to discuss the type of home that fits your family’s needs, including style, location and price.
2. Get Pre-Approved: Gather bank statements, paycheck stubs and W2’s. Know what you can afford before you start home shopping!
3. Search for Homes: This is the fun part! Your Realtor will schedule showing appointments and help you find the perfect home for your family.
4. Make an Offer: Your Realtor will draft your offer pursuant to the price and terms you choose.
5. Under Contract: Once you and the seller have agreed to the price and terms, the house comes off the market and you begin the due diligence period.
6. Due Diligence Period: This is the time period for the home inspection, termite inspection, title search, appraisal and receipt of all terms from your lender for approval.
7. Prepare for Closing: Your agent will manage this process for you up until all parties agree on a closing date.
8. Closing Day! This is the day the deed is signed and ownership is transferred into your name! Also all mortgage documents are signed and the seller is paid, then you take possession of your new home!